OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Did you achieve your table tennis goals for 2018?
All 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Some 60%  60%  [ 12 ]
None 25%  25%  [ 5 ]
Didn't set any 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 20
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2018, 21:49 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Simple question. Please expand on it though by posting what those goals were and how you went about meeting them. Think of this as a "shared good practise" thread.

Cheers

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2018, 23:13 
My Precious

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
What a good post for me "Debater"
After having a cataract surgery 2& a half years ago on one of my eyes the procedure was performed poorly. :swear: This caused my eye sight to change dramatically. :@ :punch: At one stage I thought of giving up playing our wonderful game but I was determined to keep on going & luckily I found a remarkable eye surgeon who has greatly helped my recovery. :clap: :*: :up: My eyes & my brain have also readjusted assisting my sight recovery as well. 8) So with this being ongoing I move into 2019 with a very positive outlook on continuing improvement. :rock: :party:

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2018, 23:51 
Super User

Yes.
I passed my strongest regular opponent in playing strength. It's sad because now the four year long project to accomplish that has ended. I'll continue playing for fun, and to retain that friendship, but now I'll need a new project (or start going to tournaments) to exercise any seriousness about this game, or just let it go and play for fun. Could be liberating I guess.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2018, 00:08 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Zhaoyang wrote:
Yes.
I passed my strongest regular opponent in playing strength. It's sad because now the four year long project to accomplish that has ended. I'll continue playing for fun, and to retain that friendship, but now I'll need a new project (or start going to tournaments) to exercise any seriousness about this game, or just let it go and play for fun. Could be liberating I guess.

If you never played tournaments before, you have plenty of new goals in front of you :).

As for my 2018 goals, yeah, I achieved my main ones:

* I played a lot of TT and improved a bit
* Participated in World Veterans Championship and even won a couple of matches there
* Lived for a week inside TT club :)

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2018, 00:31 
Super User

pgpg wrote:
Lived for a week inside TT club :)

Hey, should have live-blogged it for the forum!

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2018, 00:54 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Zhaoyang wrote:
pgpg wrote:
Lived for a week inside TT club :)

Hey, should have live-blogged it for the forum!

I did... No live video stream, though.

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=27372&start=885

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2018, 01:29 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

Blade: Darker Speed 90 Jpen
FH: Dawei Inspirit Quattro UL
I am somewhere between some and all. I wanted to start playing regularly again, and I have achieved that goal. I also set some performance goals for myself. These were varied. For example I had set a goal for myself with regards to progress on my forehand block, my backhand block, my forehand topspin drives and brush loops. I had set goals with regards to the position of my body and my lateral movement as well. I have made some progress on all these fronts, and am fairly satisfied with my improvement.

I had also set some match-play and win ratio goals and I want to do better in that area, even though I am better now than I was six months ago.

Looking forward to an even better 2019!

PS: I had set myself a goal of getting another one-ply Jpen blade but have pushed that to 2019.... :P

Local Press Club (Journalists) Champion

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!!!!
http://xtrariter.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2018, 02:16 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
My main aim was to get my league team (I am the captain) into a winning frame of mind. This we did achieve, doing very well in our first season, and doing even better now in the second season (halfway through). I wanted to make it a little easier for me to actually field a team (it's surprising how many people often think there are better things for them to do), and so we now have a 6 man squad, ranging in age from 14 to 67, from which to field a 3 man team. Of course, now everyone wants to play all the time, but you can't have everything... By this time next year, we may have 2 teams of 4/5, which will allow some flexibility.

I also started a Bat and Chat session at the local Ping Pong Parlour in one of the city malls. I have only missed one day since it started in March, due to illness. We have a core group of about 20, including a number of new players (in terms of the sport, but actually averaging around 75 years old, so not "new" to life), all of whom are progressing and enjoy the sessions. We also get a lot of passers-by coming in to try it out or just reminisce about their younger days when they played a lot.

I managed to see some of the best players in the world at the Team World Cup. Really could not have hoped for a better lineup. Incredible to watch the likes of Ma Long and Xu Xin and Ding Ning and Harimoto and Feng Tianwei and even Liam Pitchford, starting his rise into the top 20 by beating Harimoto and Calderano and taking a set off FZD. I can honestly say that this was the only sports event where I have spent 3 days and absolutely enjoyed every moment of it. Sat with the Chinese fans, which was an experience in itself.

My only regret is that every time I start to noticeably improve my own game, I seem to get injured, which puts me out just long enough to regress. But my backhand is massively improved from where it was in January.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2018, 03:16 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I don't have any real goals, except to learn to play better, to make better shots, to learn new techniques, and to miss less than I used to. And I think I'm playing quite a bit better than I was last year, and better than I've ever played. I don't loop as much, I'm attacking the ball earlier and it's got a better effect on my opponents.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2018, 12:39 
Super User

Blade: Hugo Calderano OFF+
FH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
BH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
None. . .

My TT goals were impacted savagely by work moving me a further 1hrs drive from home, leaving very little time to train, relax and enjoy TT. However, I did work somethings out so it was not a total wash =D ... Things such as all wood blades are better for me over composites, MX-P has better longevity then Omega V Pro and I need to manage my core strength more now I spend more hours sitting in a car driving during the week.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2018, 12:42 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
This year has seen table tennis take a bit of a back seat to other things in my life. I have been playing once or twice a week, but no competition or tournaments except a mutli round robin one in November where I more or less played to my ability.

To answer the question posed I had no goals but to keep my eye in and not let my TT skills deteriorate too much.

Next year hopefully sees me playing weekly competition and monthly veterans, with the local championships and two veterans tournaments, and perhaps national veterans as well. As I mentioned elsewhere I got new rubbers (max T05 & max T05 hard) put on my blade on Christmas Eve but have had no chance to play and probably won't before the 14th of next month.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2018, 16:27 
Super User

a. Playing comp – No time. Not interested
b. Playing weekend (Sunday) – Yes
c. Having lots of fun – yes, yes, yes
Goals for 2018: b & c - Met!
Bring on 2019 for more weekend TT & fun! :rock: :party:

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2018, 21:36 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
Great thread!

My goal this year is to actually *set* some goals! My first step was getting a training journal and taking up the practice of recording my thoughts and performances each week. I used to do this in the past and found it very beneficial.

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2019, 07:08 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
I had 6 table tennis goals for 2018

1. Setup the tests etc I need for pathfinderpro - on hold but not given up
2. Help people play / learn how to play table tennis - success, subject to steep learning curve and a lot more learning to come
3. Setup custom table tennis fitting - on hold, mainly dependent on the results and success of goal 1
4. Be able to play anytime I want - unless I have my own table, this is really a pipe dream rather than a goal. I don't have my own table
5. To have fun playing table tennis - health dependent to a large degree. Currently, not met.
6. Meet and play OOAK members - having met, had fun and played a few members of the forum over the years I think I can safely count this one as achieved and retired from my goals now. If it happens it happens, it's not something I go chasing anymore, nor do I run away from it if the chance arises.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2019, 07:49 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I had three TT goals for 2018 and only partly reached one.

1. Make a habit of resetting my feet after every shot and have it show up in a match video.
This is a fail and will carryover to 2019.

2. Spend four weeks training in europe. I managed 19 days in 2018, all in Denmark.
I'm calling that a pass. Of course it also carries over to 2019 since I already signed up for B75.

3. Move close enough to Broward TTC that I can go after work.
This was in the works but a family crisis took me out of town for more than four months. So I give myself an incomplete due to extenuating circumstances. It will happen in 2019.

Yoko Ono

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!