OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:14

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Globe 889 review
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2007, 13:45 
Super User

I played for a long session with my new sheet of Globe 889 for the first time today. Wow, just wow. I think I'll only ever use inverted again for twiddling blades or RPB. :D I couldn't do my usual loops very well, but as soon as I started powerlooping with a heavy swing, my partner couldn't return just about any of my shots, and he's a chopper! My smashes/kills were tremendous as well, and I could place them with ridiculous accuracy. Quick attack style flicks and hits right off the bounce went rocketing back, again with wonderful accuracy.

The biggest surprise, however, was serving. I was expecting the spin to be decent at best, but with barely any change in motion, I could get up to about 95% of the spin of my usual half-tacky inverted! In one point, to my delight and my opponent's dismay, I "messed up" on one of my usual wide sidespin serves, but rather than pop up as it might with inverted, the ball basically died right after it bounced off the inner corner on my opponent's side and dropped nearly straight down. I've found myself a great new serve. :D

Now some technical stuff: Both the topsheet and sponge are light and soft but very springy for any reasonable speed shot. The pips are fairly wide and rough topped. The listed 38 degrees on the sponge is pretty accurate. Spin on average shots was (out of 10) somewhere around a 7, about an 8.5 for serves. On high power shots, the softness in the sponge and topsheet gave it a bit more spin. Speed and control are both off the charts. I primed my sheet pretty heavily with normal glue, which gave it power comparable to something like Bryce. Control was probably around that of 729 FX Super Soft against moderate spin, but much greater than any normal inverted against spinnier stuff.

If you have any questions about it, ask away. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2007, 19:43 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Nice review Hobbes! I didn't realise it was that spinny. The 889-2 is no doubt even spinnier, with wider pips, not too different from the 802-40, but of course this makes it a lot more sensitive to spin too.

Sounds like this one suits you perfectly :thumleft:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2007, 22:05 
Super User

I think the reason I can still do strong serves is that I naturally make motions that make the ball roll across the surface a lot; as long as the topsheet of the rubber I'm using is moderately grippy, I'm going to be able to create plenty of spin just because there's so much surface area in total that comes in contact with the ball.

Edit: Hm, interesting thing that I noticed: I think the topsheet might actually be lightly tensioned. I always disassemble the unusable piece I have left over from when I cut the rubber, and I noticed with this sheet that the sponge from the disassembled part feels much less springy than the part where the sponge is still attached to the topsheet. Also, while the topsheet and sponge were attached, they were obviously the same length and width; now that they are separated, the sponge has contracted a noticeable amount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Aug 2007, 21:18 
Super User

Globe 888 first impressions

I got a sheet of 888 in my latest order. It's a medium pip very similar looking to 889. They're both labeled as "N-Out," so they might be originally cut from the same sheet. Compared to the 889, the 888 has slightly longer pips, by a factor of roughly 1.5. The pips are smoother on the tops, though still slightly rough, and softer/more flexible. The sponge is either the same as the 889 or very similar, and has a very high quality feel to it with plenty of springiness. It feels slightly softer on the 888 due to the more flexible and less tensioned topsheet.

Overall, the pips seem similar. 888 is likely to have less speed, but some possibility for spin reversal on blocks and hits. For any LP user wishing to try out/convert to SP, or vice versa, I would recommend using 888 during the transitional period.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Aug 2007, 12:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I've also got a sheet of 889 and it is one of the best feeling sheets I have. I couldn't get as much spin out of it as with Joola Tango Ultra, which has wider and softer pips but otherwise it felt great. I may have to give it another try. It certainly is plenty fast and also great for blocking.

-- Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 May 2008, 05:46 
Super User

agooding2 wrote:
I've also got a sheet of 889 and it is one of the best feeling sheets I have. I couldn't get as much spin out of it as with Joola Tango Ultra, which has wider and softer pips but otherwise it felt great. I may have to give it another try. It certainly is plenty fast and also great for blocking.

-- Andrew

Where can I buy 889?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 May 2008, 06:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

bbkon wrote:
agooding2 wrote:

-- Andrew

Where can I buy 889?

Maybe on this website, I don't know I got mine a few years ago.

Spintech All Around Penhold blade
Spinlord Keiler II 1.5 black
Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 May 2008, 09:01 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401