OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 18:21

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 914 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 61  Next
PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 21:29 
King of Ping!

Smartguy wrote:
adham wrote:
How about discussing something fresh instead of the same old same old that will not change in any case?

Should I really tell you, how what you call "the same old" can be changed?

Formally, a proposition should be made and than a voting should take place.

You have only 1 vote in case of tie on the Board of Directors.

A court decision about "minimum friction level" is also possible.

Correct. So do you have any NEW subjects you would like to discuss? what about talking about the future?

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 21:32 
King of Ping!

haggisv wrote:
Smartguy wrote:
Hardly an achievement to be proud of.

Smartguy, this is your final warning. Statements like are patronising are disrespectful to Adham.

I'm grateful that Adham is willing to give us some of his own personal time here, to answer questions and discuss issues, so I suggest you think about this and don't play a blaming game, and stick to more constructive topics.

It's OK Haggisv, it really does not bother me. I like Smartguy because he likes to argue and is passionate about our sport. I really do not mind discussing and debating with him. It's really OK. He also makes some good points, sometimes. I understand his style and accept his arguements, he has never been rude, so you could cut him some slack.

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 21:42 
King of Ping!

Again, I don't get it. Why not increase the number of players per group in the preliminary round-robins? But what I really do not understand is that you are comparing something from more than 8 years ago !! Seems ludicrous to me. I can understand having this discussion and comparison in 2002 or even 2003, but in 2009 it seems futile. Hey, 11-point games are here to stay.[/quote]
I know this rule is unlikely to change. The point is it was an example of a rule made to benefit TV that was overall detrimental to average players. It's like cutting a baseball game from nine to seven innings, or football/soccer from 45 minute halves to 35 minute halves.[/quote]

The rule was made only in part to benefit TV. It was also made to increase the excitement and have more game endings as well as give more chances for upsets. TT did not enjoy popularity on TV, so a change was necessary, and according to a great majority the 11-points are widely accepted and enjoyed. believe me that if for some reason Football would not be covered on TV because the matches were too long, they would consider reducing the time. Football does not have to worry, and baseball in the USA does not have to worry. However, baseball in Europe is not popular and shorter games would definitely enhance its chance for popularity. remember, baseball has been removed from the Olympic Games ! Our role as leaders of our sport is to keep the sport fresh, keep it in the Olympics, put it on TV screens, make it visible as widely as possible (itTV) and to enhance its appearance and popularity. Based on figures, we are achieving this slowly but surely. Of course some changes affected some players in a negative way, but none of the changes were drastic enough to stop players from playing the game. The game has stayed true to itself no matter the crticism. TT is still TT. 11 points, 40mm ball, pen service, VOC-free, are just minor modifications. The proof is that the players adjust very quickly. Those that did not adjust is because they took an adversary position and refused to adapt. But if you make a sincere effort to adapt it's not that difficult. By the way, Volleyball changed its scoring system to make games shorter, so did Badminton.

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 21:45 
King of Ping!

Smartguy wrote:
adham wrote:
Hey, welcome back Smartguy. I was wondering when you would step in and argue.
So, when the government of England makes a decision, it is NOT an English decision? because not all of England has decided? Don't you elect your representatives to decide on your behalf?
The AGM (member national associations) ELECTS the Board of Directors and gives it its power to deal with Chapters 3, 4 and 5 of the ITTF Handbook. The national associations deal with Chapters 1 and 2 directly because those are the most important parts of the federation's regulations (Constitution and Rules of the Game). The Board of Directors is a geographical representation (continental quota for balance) of "individuals", not associations, representing ALL associations, just like a Board of Directors of any corporation represents the interests of the shareholders (members in this case). And by the way, a group of 60 people is very large and very representative.

How could the Board make an "illegal" decision? The Board makes its decisions according to the rules and according to the power vested in it. It cannot make an illegal decision. This is a serious organization my friend, not a children playground.

I do not think we really need to discuss the substance of democracy in this thread.

My point was, that the national associations do elect the Board of Directors and the ITTF President, but can not generally be made responsible for actions of members of the Board of Directors. And for actions of the ITTF President.

You are mistaken. In fact the AGM is fully responsible for the actions and decisions made by the BoD, the EC and the President. Although the elections are once every 4 years, the members meet at an Annual General Meeting (AGM) every year. I have to submit a report and the AGM has the power to rescind any decision made by the BoD or the EC. In fact the AGM is the overall governing body of our sport internationally.

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 21:48 
King of Ping!

Smartguy wrote:
haggisv wrote:
Smartguy wrote:
Hardly an achievement to be proud of.

Smartguy, this is your final warning. Statements like are patronising are disrespectful to Adham.

I'm grateful that Adham is willing to give us some of his own personal time here, to answer questions and discuss issues, so I suggest you think about this and don't play a blaming game, and stick to more constructive topics.

OK, just to avoid misunderstanding: you are a native speaker, I believe you, that my phrase quoted above can be perceived as patronising and therefore disrespectful. Although it does not sound patronising to me. In any case, it was not my intention. Actually my intention was to use a weaker expression than "bad" or something like that. Of course, you can correct me, and I am even thankful for that, because I learn something, but "final warning" is too hard.

OK guys, don't worry, I am very thick-skinned, so I am not bothered by the comments. As long as you do not insult me or call me names, I accept all else. No harm done. But Smartguy, what about discussing the "future", surely you have some ideas and suggestions that could help us?

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 21:53 
King of Ping!

Smartguy wrote:
adham wrote:
Who today is against the 40mm ball?

That's true, 40mm ball is no more the issue. But this fact alone does not mean, that introducing 40mm ball was a good thing. The players have adjusted to it, that is all. The same goes for 11 point game. Normally player do not talk about it.

At the same time you can hardly find a player, who would say introducing 40mm ball was a good thing. OK, we know now, Speedplay likes it, but from my personal experience the most players are not happy about it. They just adjusted. I also think, the majority of players would rather readjust to 21 points game. Although I find 11 point game better. So what, I would not impose my preferences on the majority. I also think, that a bigger ball and shorter games are insignificant for TV promotion.

Just imagine: a new ITTF President Mahda Ararahs was elected 9 years ago and ITTF introduced 36mm ball. Who were today against it?

I beg to differ. We receive constant praise about the 40mm ball and the 11 points and the open service. It is a very minute minority that has not liked it. As for the TV networks, they think it's the best thing that ever happened to our sport. Now what would be the logic for Mahda Ararahs to "reduce" the size of the ball? In fact when any change has been made we always said that we will look at the outcome in a period of 1 to 2 years, if the change would be considered a bad idea, we would change back. But the fact is that the changes have been good for our sport, this is the general view.

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 21:57 
King of Ping!

Smartguy wrote:
adham wrote:
Smartguy wrote:
But I also told you another important thing, and here you can fully and successfully apply you Math knowledge. I think, I'll just quote myself:

"not in clubs, but at tournaments and particularly teams competitions the average playing time has decreased because of shorter games. That means, that 11 point game rule has effectively reduced competitive table tennis."

Again, I don't get it. Why not increase the number of players per group in the preliminary round-robins? But what I really do not understand is that you are comparing something from more than 8 years ago !! Seems ludicrous to me. I can understand having this discussion and comparison in 2002 or even 2003, but in 2009 it seems futile. Hey, 11-point games are here to stay.

OK, the number of players per group in the preliminary round-robins can be increased, but the real fight begins after the preliminary round-robins. And there the 11 point games matches are shorter, which means "less table tennis".

In countries with well developed league system teams compete, there are no preliminary round-robins there. Again "less table tennis".

Return to 21 point game would lead to "more table tennis" in both cases.

Dream on ! After the round robin take 2 players to advance, more table tennis. Add one or two matches to the league match system, more table tennis. Enter more tournaments, more table tennis. Stop arguing about this point and go out and play, more table tennis !

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 21:59 
King of Ping!

Smartguy wrote:
adham wrote:
How about discussing something fresh instead of the same old same old that will not change in any case?

That is what I think about why "the same old". To put it in a very simple way: people do not like certain changes, namely speed glue ban, tuner and booster ban, frictionless pimples ban, even 11 point game and 40mm ball. Although they might know, that you do not make rules, they might think you personally are behind these changes, the driving force. Hence they try to convince you to take these changes back, to become the driving force of taking back these changes.

These believes are imho quite understandable, you make a contribution to it saying things like "Hey, 11-point games are here to stay". If you say that, you create an impression, that you have power to make 11-point games stay. This impression logically leads to conclusion, that you also have power to make 21 point game and other things come back.

By the way, other topics are also being discussed on this forum, there are a lot of threads here.

OK, I accept. Now what about discussing something new in this thread?

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 22:03 
King of Ping!

muf wrote:
adham wrote:
muf wrote:
Does ITTF have any kind of charitable fund?
If yes I would send to it 1USD for every player from world TOP100 who cares about low friction limit for LP's if you send 50cents for every player who doesn't care about it at all. ;)

Yes, we do have something called "Solidarity Fund". But you are not offering a fair deal. Let's make the deal fair as follows:

- I will pay $1 for each player in the world who cares about low friction

- You will pay 50c for each player in the world that does NOT care about low friction.

What do you say?

Wow, what a gage (I hope "gage" is the right word) :)
Why is my deal unfair?
+ TOP100 world players have enough skills and knowledge to be valuable representatives of all TT players
+ they are not anonymous
+ "my" deal can be easily implemented

The deal you are offering seems unworkable to me (I can't imagine how it could be implemented) so I suspect you are just trying to avoid it?

PS: I am sure you realize that "your" deal would definitely ruin us both? Doesn't matter who would win or who would pay 50c or 1$ for vote of every TT player in the world :D

Adham, thank you for your answers. I do not want to go on with this flamewar, I've got a feeling that my few drops of oil are enough ;) But if you are ready to accept my deal, please let me know.

"Gage" is the right word in French. You mean "bet" or "wager". The reason your deal is not fair (unless I did not understand it), is that your exposure to loss is limited to a fixed number, where as my exposure is wide open. So, my deal is more fair because we are both wide open. But you are right, we may both go bankrupt, and no one wants that outcome.

In any case, I get your point and appreciate your concern. No need for us to lose our shirts to prove a point.

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 22:08 
King of Ping!

speedplay wrote:
Let's talk about the future, even if it means involving the past :?

We had a nice discussion about serve rules for doubles as they heavily favours left handed players. I suggested that the rule should be to serve one serve in each one of the diagonals, you replied to let the serve free, or something like that.

Now, is this something you guys at the ITTF are looking in to?

There is a rumour going on a big Swedish site that Butterfly Tenergy will not be allowed next year, do you know anything about that?

No, there are no plans for the doubles at the moment. Many titles have been won by 2 right handers, although as you say having one left-handed player is a definite advantage.

I have not heard the rumour about Butterfly Tenergy. Maybe a competitor started that rumour. Why would it not be accepted?

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 22:45 

adham wrote:
"Gage" is the right word in French. You mean "bet" or "wager". The reason your deal is not fair (unless I did not understand it), is that your exposure to loss is limited to a fixed number, where as my exposure is wide open. So, my deal is more fair because we are both wide open. But you are right, we may both go bankrupt, and no one wants that outcome.

In any case, I get your point and appreciate your concern. No need for us to lose our shirts to prove a point.

It was my mistake, my deal is:
I'm going to send to ITTF Solidarity Fund 1USD for every player from world TOP100 who cares about low friction limit for LP's if you send 50cents for every player from world TOP100 who doesn't care about it at all.

PostPosted: 11 May 2009, 07:50 
Super User

adham wrote:
Smartguy wrote:
OK, the number of players per group in the preliminary round-robins can be increased, but the real fight begins after the preliminary round-robins. And there the 11 point games matches are shorter, which means "less table tennis".

In countries with well developed league system teams compete, there are no preliminary round-robins there. Again "less table tennis".

Return to 21 point game would lead to "more table tennis" in both cases.

Dream on ! After the round robin take 2 players to advance, more table tennis. Add one or two matches to the league match system, more table tennis. Enter more tournaments, more table tennis. Stop arguing about this point and go out and play, more table tennis !

E.g. the final, semifinal etc. matches at the last World Championship. "Best of 7" was played, 44 points needed for victory. With "21 point game" they would have played "best of 5", 63 points needed for victory. That means, what we have now is 30% reduction of Top Table Tennis. At an ITTF event.

PostPosted: 11 May 2009, 08:19 
Super User

adham wrote:
But Smartguy, what about discussing the "future", surely you have some ideas and suggestions that could help us?

Yes, I have. I think, the Board of Directors has done some wrong things and I'd like them to correct it in the future. I am sure, that if the Board of Directors does not do that, there are more wrong things to come.

I also think, correcting those wrong things already done would be impossible without extensive public pressure on the Board of Directors, so I'd like more players to get concerned about the situation.

PostPosted: 11 May 2009, 08:25 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Smartguy wrote:
E.g. the final, semifinal etc. matches at the last World Championship. "Best of 7" was played, 44 points needed for victory. With "21 point game" they would have played "best of 5", 63 points needed for victory. That means, what we have now is 30% reduction of Top Table Tennis. At an ITTF event.

Looking at actual match lengths (timewise), the intrinsic properties of the 11 point 7 game format appears to run about the same. Sometimes longer, as I suspect often players are procrastinating a bit.

Still, the format leads to tighter games, higher intensity, more excitement, etc etc

PostPosted: 11 May 2009, 08:26 
King of Ping!

speedplay wrote:
According to the rumour it was something about it that wasn't with in the rules, not sure if it was VOC's or something else. The rumour also claimed that Boost from Stiga would be out, but this have been denied by authorities from Stiga who claims that Boost will be available in the future as well as it is with in the rules.

To bad about th doubles, I would have loved to see a new rule about the serve. I know that doubles can be won by two right handers, but the serve rule is favouring the lefties and I don't like that at all.

The best is not to listen to rumours but to consult the ITTF's authorization list instead.

Yes, in doubles the lefties are favoured, but give them a chance, they are not favoured in anything else.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 914 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 61  Next