OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:58

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: 955 0.6mm vs OX
PostPosted: 18 Feb 2007, 08:20 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I've just tried a Galaxy OX to see how it compares to the 0.6 sponged version that I normally use. Here are some observations:

- Spin reversal and other LP effects were certainly significantly improved...and made it more fun to play with.

- chopping away from the table, OX is harder to control. The hard feel of the blade reduces dwell time and make it come off quicker. For this stroke this rubber is faster OX than with sponge. Spin manipulation was still very good. I was getting very heavy backspin, but could easily change to a float. The contrast was probably a little better with OX, but I did not get as many on.

- Attacking backspin still worked very well, but once again it was faster, so I had to be careful not to hit too hard. Hitting was very nice and fast.

- blocking: drop shots were much easier and better with OX, spin reversal was better too. This is a shot that was just not effective with sponge. Counterhitting against topspin seemed very similar, returning some topspin.
Chop blocks with OX were great, the came off fast with very good spin reversal. Very effective if you can time them right....

In conclusion, you win some you lose some...I'm not sure if it would improve my game, but perhaps with time I can improve...

I feel that a slower and softer blade would probably give me more control... and make it easier to control the OX....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Feb 2007, 18:47 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

Thanks for the reivew. Could you define harder to control when chopping?

Did you chop long or miss the table more? Have less control of placement on the table? If so why? Was the ball jumping off your bat before the optimum part of your stroke? Something else?

Sorry, these questions are from a chopping newbie!

Member of Anastasia's Fan Club

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Feb 2007, 20:10 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

The problem was the ball came off the blade with OX quicker than with sponge. With some sponge there was significantly more dwell time. The extra dwell time seem to give me more chance to brush the ball, which gives me control and better placement.

I was getting used to it after a while, but still there was less control when chopping... The ones I missed were mostly going over the end of the table...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2007, 02:32 
Angel of Abbyss

And on which blade do you tried it?

With an OX LP the blade becomes more important than with a sponge version.

I will try soon a Superblock Ox on my defensive blade instead of the 955 and I am almost sure it would give me more control than the 955 with sponge.

http://www.diabolosyl.net (my own site)
http://www.tennis-de-table.com (biggest forum in France)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2007, 06:35 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

The blade I used is a Stiga Energy wood, which is the same as the one I normally use with the 0.6mm sponge. My old Energy wood blade actually feels a fair bit slower and softer than this, I could have tried it on that one... But comparision between the 2 was the aim here, so I used the same blade for both...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2007, 15:19 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I've had a few more goes playing OX now, and I'm really starting to like it.

I still feel it's not as good away from the table, but attacking wise it seems easier and more effective. I will keep playing with it, and test it against some more players... Playing 955 OX will also make it easier to compare to the other OX rubbers which I'm about to test (Scalpel and TSP curl PR1).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2007, 17:47 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

I'm really loving 955 OX. It's confusing lots of opponents because-

* Good spin reveral on blocks (expected).
* Mild top spin on some hard punches (not expected)
* Can chop a chop over the table and create mild underspin (not expected) through to no-spin, depending on incoming spin strength, ball speed, and the stroke.
* I'm slowly discovering I can hit with it (long pips newbie).

I really like that I can create some spin on slower shots, as well as produce spin reveral on faster blocks/shots. (Sort of the opposite to Alligator Soft etc, with their smooth tips and grippy pip sides.)

This must be the effect people are after when they wipe Spin Max across the tops of a soft semi-frictionless l/p. At first I thought they were mad, but I'm currently loving 955 OX for similar reasons. It's the transition from adding spin to reversing spin that is causing some opponents (ie over the table players) a lot of difficulty.

Member of Anastasia's Fan Club

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2007, 22:55 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Good on you Shoebox9!

I'm still using OX as well. Although I don't have quite the feel when chopping away from the table, it's better close-in and definitely works better returning serves...VERY important!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2007, 22:56 
Super User

I'm currently Using 955 in 1.0mm sponge, and flicking and rolling serves with it is very easy. Pretty impressed with it tbh, after a while i'll probably go thinner, as 1.0mm is quite fast, but for now it's good - slowly decreasing as my expertise improve. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2007, 23:03 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes it's a very versatile rubber! I actually found 0.6mm the easiest to handle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2007, 23:16 
Angel of Abbyss

With all LP I have ever tried, I prefer Ox versions, I find they have more control but of course it is a personal feeling.

http://www.diabolosyl.net (my own site)
http://www.tennis-de-table.com (biggest forum in France)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2007, 08:48 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
I've found it has a lot to do with what you are used to. It's definetely a different feel to play OX, but once you get used to it it's not so bad. You just need to relearn what feels "right" when you chop.

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2007, 09:03 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

yes I agree completely, WELL SAID!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2007, 14:00 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I'm starting to feel I'm playing better with OX than with sponge. I seem to have more options close in, finding it easier to attack and better placement accuracy.

I'm starting to get used to chopping with it away from the table... although it's not as easy to vary the spin, the spin reversal is better, which still forces errors, or allows me to attack if the chop the next one...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jun 2007, 16:56 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I thought I might revisit this thread as I've gone full circle... back to 0.6mm!

The OX gave significant advantages close in, particularly in attacking serves...

However I found I simply did not have enough skill to attack the deeper serves, which seemed quite common against me... I also found that blocking against faster loops seemed better with some sponge. This may be different for some other pips, but the 955 pips are a little springy, grippy and not that slow... which makes it hard to keep the ball on the table.

So with this pip I feel I'm much better off chopping away from the table, which is where this pimple particularly shines anyway, and only FH attacking on my own serve, or when when opportunities arise... I will still come in to block against loops, as long as the loops are not too fast...

Any comments on this very much appreciated!

Cheers!