OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 02:41

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2011, 07:50 
Super User

Blade: Re-impact Tachi
FH: Palio Thor's
BH: Tibhar Grass DTecS
Does it just come down to whether you believe in Religion or Science?

Blade: Re-Impact Tachi. BH: Grass DTecS (ox, new version) FH: Palio Thor's max

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2011, 08:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Fish wrote:
cyber1call wrote:
Your Honor, in defense of Talent I would like to introduce an expert witness, David Foster, who will offer his opinion on the talent of one particular performer, the 11-year old Jackie Evancho.

How does this prove this is talent? Didn't she say in one interview that she didn't have time to play with her pets because of all the time devoted to practise? Granted she's not done her 10,000 hours yet, but she's certainly worked her socks off.

I have been living in L.A. a.k.a. "Hollywood, Land of the Dreams" for the past twenty-five years and many of my clients include those working in the entertainment industry... You better believe there are thousands of parents in this city whose children have been training professionally as much or more than this girl, and started at a younger age than her but will NEVER make it. Practice to these kids is the minimum requirement rather than "the" magic ingredient to success as Syed believes. This girl's achievement is only possible one out of thousands of kids who tried as hard as she did, to say the least. It's simply wishful thinking that any kid can achieve her level at her age with the same amount of practice.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2011, 08:58 
Super User

Syed never said it was hard work alone. The path to the top is a combination of opportunity; being in the right place at the right time - and hard work. And Syed's insight is not new. Thomas Edison made the point about genius being 1 per cent inspiration, 99 per cent perspiration more than 100 years ago.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2011, 10:20 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Fish wrote:
Syed never said it was hard work alone. The path to the top is a combination of opportunity; being in the right place at the right time - and hard work. And Syed's insight is not new. Thomas Edison made the point about genius being 1 per cent inspiration, 99 per cent perspiration more than 100 years ago.

That's it? No individual "talent" involved at all to get to the TOP of any field?

What about differences in intelligence, determination, hand-eye coordination, cardio-vascular capacity, jumping ability, correct split-second decision making under extreme pressure, etc., etc.? The fact is everyone is different physiologically.

"Willing to work hard" as often touted by Syed and his supporters is actually a personal trait, an unique kind of "talent" that simply can not be taught.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2011, 17:05 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
And let's not forget where mental factors come into performance either. Intelligence, imagination/creativity, ability to handle mental pressure and specifically how you actually are affected by the mental pressure on any given occasion (because as most TT players know we don't always react the same way each time), etc. I know practice can help a lot with these factors too, but I don't think everyone will have the same mental affects from practice. The fact is, as humans, we are individuals. We are not machines. As RR said, everyone has different talent in their abilities to take to training, hard work, coaching advice, etc. Practice is just one factor. How many athletes body's break down in training and stop them from competing? How many have mental blocks that leads them to needing a holiday from training? Then of course some of those who take breaks come back stronger, others never quite recover from the missed time.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2011, 19:20 
Super User

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
And let's not forget where mental factors come into performance either. Intelligence, imagination/creativity, ability to handle mental pressure . . .

. . . which comes down to whether you have a growth mind set or a fixed mind set which is essentially shaped by your upbringing.

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
The fact is, as humans, we are individuals. We are not machines.

Agreed. But also the fact is Syed has made an observation that skills are acquired rather than innate. He has come up with a hypothesis that might be an explanation. He has tested it with all possible data to try to disprove and gathered the results.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2011, 21:28 
Super User

roundrobin wrote:
Fish wrote:

That's it? No individual "talent" involved at all to get to the TOP of any field?

What about differences in intelligence, determination, hand-eye coordination, cardio-vascular capacity, jumping ability, correct split-second decision making under extreme pressure, etc., etc.? The fact is everyone is different physiologically.

"Willing to work hard" as often touted by Syed and his supporters is actually a personal trait, an unique kind of "talent" that simply can not be taught.

You are spot on there Roundrobin. A willingness to work hard is just as much a personal trait than for instance hand-eye coördination.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2011, 23:46 
Stir Crazy

*** Warning *** Warning ***
Very long post! Read at your own risk!

rodderz wrote:
Nature verses Nurture.... hmmmm Country of berth has every thing to do with it

The nature versus nurture argument is very old, with much still to be decided, However, Syed devotes quite a bit of his time to looking at the question of "country of birth" and most of his observations favour nurture. For example, East African distance runners, especially Kenyans. Yes, the world of distance running is currently dominated by Kenyans but there are many factors involved in that. For a start, not all Kenyans are good distance runners (just the same as not all Australians are good swimmers or all Chinese good TT players). Of the world's elite Kenyan runners, the great majority of them come from the Rift Valley, with the great majority of them from the Eldoret region - 1 small portion of the overall population. What is special about the Eldoret region? 2 things: 1. its altitude is amongst the highest in Africa, and 2. a lot of children have to run to school (some as much as 20km per day). Put those 2 things together and you have distance altitude training. By the time some leave school they have maximum oxygen uptakes very similar to elite distance runners. That is nurture in the form of practice and not nature in the form of special genes.

Syed also tells his own story - he was one of an extraordinary number of elite TT players who all came from the same small part of his home town, a significant number from the same street he was born in. Why? It wasn't a genetic factor, but the combination of a TT obsessed school teacher, a local 24 hour TT centre, and the opportunity to be trained and encouraged by very good coaches. Again, location was important, but only because it provided the opportunity for enthusiasm for the game to be nurtured.

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
I'm not saying Syed's observations are wrong, but just that it can only really look at the side of those that "made it", not the ones who didn't (and the latter may outnumber the former by a lot).

Of course, but this misses the point. The question is, "How to get to the top" not "How not to get there". Nowhere (and this is important to stress), nowhere does Syed suggest that it is only practice that gets you there. Nor does he anywhere suggest that the same amount of practice will yield the same results. Of the 10 chapters in the book, only 3 are primarily about practice vs talent. Much of the rest of the book deals with the other mysterious variables which also influence success, things such as internal motivation, fixed versus growth mindset, the placebo effect, rituals, brain processes, and the influence or otherwise of genes.

cyber1call wrote:
[I don't dispute the basic premise as it applies to most activities and people. I merely dispute the proposition that there is no such thing as talent...

Take the 10,000 hours of practice paradigm. If person A practices TT 10,000 hours he may wind up in the top world rankings. Yet Person B might also practice 10,000 hours and never get that good. To me, that defines "talent." Person A had talent that Person B did not have. It is an intangible. Someone with "talent" won't likely get to the top without putting in the hours, but just putting in the hours may not get you there either no matter how hard one tries. So I think this concept is mostly true when applied to a general population's distribution (statistically speaking), but ignores simple innate differences that apply to everyone. 

What is talent if it is "intangible"? How can it be identified or measured? Our TV screens are littered with "talent" shows, but in the main they are incorrectly labelled. What is being identified and judged is mainly the result of practice and training. No-one gets up on the stage and dances perfectly without having practised first. What is being called talent is what Syed calls "the iceberg illusion": what we see is only the tip of the iceberg which is the thousands of hours of training which has got that person to that point.

The other major issue with the fixation on talent is the negative effect which this has on both those "with talent" and those "without talent". From personal experience: we had at our school a young man who was "immensely talented" - he was Australian schoolboys sprint champion for his age group for a number of years. One day in 1968 I saw him run 100 m in 10.7 seconds. An extraordinary achievement. Do you know his name? NO - because he never made it. He became a victim of the talent myth. For a start, he received so much adulation for his "talent" that he came to believe he didn't need to train - his "talent" was enough. Secondly, he became fearful of losing and having his "talent" label taken away from him so he stopped competing. He could have been... but he never did. At the same time, his "talent" affected everyone around him. The rest of us who had to live with him day by day simply stopped trying to improve. We simply assumed that we would never be as talented as he was and therefore there was no point trying.

If we had all been encouraged to be the best each of us could be through hard work and perseverance and if we had been encouraged to believe that we could be better than we were, we would all have been better off, the "talented" one included.

roundrobin wrote:
Tassie52 wrote:
roundrobin wrote:
In other fields, check out this young painter's gallery and tell me straight away she is not "talented", but just happened to have lots of deliberate practice:

http://www.akiane.com/store/

No, she's not talented as in some mystical, unmeasurable power; yes, she is talented as in she's a fine painter - as a result of thousands of hours of practice.

Sorry, your explanation is way too simplistic. There has to be much more than that, to say the least... She did not become an incredible painter by simply "practicing". The more you are attempting to apply Syed's theory to real cases of undeniable "talent" the more I find it unconvincing...

I'm sorry that you find the arguments unconvincing, but I'm fascinated by the fact that each example of "talent" that gets thrown up - Iverson, Bryant, Mozart, Akiane - when their lives are examined we find exactly the things that Syed is talking about. Each of them started at a very early age, each dedicated huge amounts of time to pursuing their passion, and each only gained recognition after they had done the necessary hours.

I've been interested to look at the "talent" of Jackie Evancho. Lots and lots of comments gushing about how "gifted" she is, but again it's the iceberg illusion. Added to which, many of the quotes are conditional, saying things like, "She has a remarkable voice for someone of her age." In other words, it is not her talent which is being praised but how early she has been able to develop her voice - the result of doing something which kids don't usually do: practice for thousands of hours. Secondly, Jackie Evancho is not a star because she possesses a quality which others don't. There are hundreds of thousands of kids around the world with voices as good as or better than hers, but... they have not had the opportunities which she has had to be recognised. Where you are born does make a difference - try becoming an opera singer when living in poverty in Bangladesh.

antipip wrote:
I tend to see genetics as a ceiling or limit.

Practice (along with other factors) allows you to get close to that ceiling.

People have different ceilings.

The closer you get to the ceiling the more practice you have to put in for a little gain (similar to law of diminsihing returns).

I would say you'd be amazed how good you could get with practice, but I don't see how you can dismiss all the other factors.

I think antipip is close here. Our physiology is always going to set a limit upon what we can do - the tiny females we see performing amazingly in Olympic gymnastics are never going to be sumo wrestlers and vice versa. :D High jumpers are never going to win shot put events and shot putters aren't going to win the Tour de France (although it could be fun to watch them try).

But the term "genetics" is a little troubling. For virtually all human beings our genetic make-up is virtually identical. When comparing the genes of African-American sprinters and people from Nigeria there are no significant differences, but only one of those groups dominates the Olympic sprint events. Equally, it's not aberrant genes or special genes which set stars apart. Wayne Gretsky is regarded as arguably the greatest ice hockey player ever but has no special genes. In his own words: "I wasn't naturally gifted in terms of size and speed; everything I did in hockey I worked for." Whoops! That sounds like the 10,000 hours practice thing to me

At the same time, Syed is quick to acknowledge the difference between complex events like ice hockey and simple events like running or lifting. It is true that the first thing you need to do to become an olympic sprinter is to choose your parents carefully. But, as important as that is, that on its own is not enough. When it comes to complex tasks, the physiological dimension becomes less important; see the Gretsky quote above.

Fish wrote:

And a number of "someone elses" said:
Luck is a dividend of sweat. The more you sweat, the luckier you get. Ray Kroc
The harder I work, the luckier I get. Samuel Goldwyn
The harder you work, the luckier you get. Gary Player
The more I practice, the luckier I get. Gene Sarazen
And perhaps "more talented" could be substituted for "luckier"? :lol:

roundrobin wrote:

For a start, intelligence is not a talent. Nor is determination. Hand-eye co-ordination is purely the result of training. Do you know any babies who can catch a ball? Cardio-vascular capacity is the result of two things: 1. physiology, and 2. training. When I was training for marathons I increased my cardio-vascular capacity immensely - my resting heart rate was down to 40 beats per minute; it's not nowadays! :rofl: Cardio-vascular capacity is not a talent. Jumping ability - trainable. Split-second decision making ability is always the result of practice: the only way any of us know which kind of stroke to play is because we've done it before!

Also, I'm quite sure that "willing to work hard" can be taught. A long time ago I was a primary school teacher. My first ever class was eight year olds, including one who was consistently the worst speller in the class. His father was a dairy farmer and John (the boy) said, "My dad says you don't need to go to school to be a farmer." Each week John would only manage to learn 2 or 3 of the 20 words set to learn. Towards the end of the year there came a day when he fluked getting 3 of the day's 5 words correct. I praised John's "hard work". :up: The next day he also got 3 right. I got the whole class to applaud him for doing so well. :party: That week, when we tested the whole 20 words, John got 6 correct - this was unheard of for him and we made a huge fuss over the effort he had made. The next week he got 9 out of 20! By the end of the year he was consistently getting between 16 and 19 out of 20 - this from the "no talent" worst speller in the room! The only thing that had changed was that the class was rewarding his "hard work", and he learned to make an effort. That was one of the highlights of my primary school teaching career.

This illustration is exactly what Syed talks about as a "growth mindset" - teaching people to believe that they can improve through effort. Up until that time, John had a "fixed mindset" believing that he was "no good at spelling". His ability to spell changed when his mindset changed. "Willing to work hard" is not 'a unique kind of "talent" that simply can not be taught.'

I know I haven't responded to the Carl Danner article yet. Apologies, but I've kind of got lots of other things on my plate at the moment. Hopefully I'll get to it in the coming week.

I'm heading to the UK for a two week study trip soon. Anybody in Cambridge fancy beating a "no talent" Aussie? :lol: I'll bring my bat if you like?

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2011, 01:39 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
A lot of good points made here Tassie. It seems like Syed's book is broader minded than it sounded to be at first. I think perhaps we are all looking to arrive at the same thinking point, but just taking different routes to get there. ;)

How dare you go to the UK for sabbatical after just having a holiday to SA. What about us here? You can't just ditch us every time you feel like flying off to some other part of the country or world! :P (Need someone to carry your bags? :lol: )

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2011, 03:46 
Horse Hockey!

Fish wrote:
cyber1call wrote:
Your Honor, in defense of Talent I would like to introduce an expert witness, David Foster, who will offer his opinion on the talent of one particular performer, the 11-year old Jackie Evancho.

How does this prove this is talent? Didn't she say in one interview that she didn't have time to play with her pets because of all the time devoted to practise? Granted she's not done her 10,000 hours yet, but she's certainly worked her socks off.

As a former musician (I played the viola in various symphony orchestras but wasn't good enough to make a living at it because I had no talent even though I practiced a lot. :lol: ) ... what this girl can do could not be done by anyone even if they practiced for 1,000,000 hours. And as said over and over by many others, the fact that she trained is irrelevant because we've all stipulated that talent requires practice to bring it to fruition.

Have you listened to any of the HD clips of Jackie Evancho? She may be the best singer since recordings were invented and she's only 11 years old! (I'm not alone in this--others have the same opinion.) Her pitch is perfect and her high notes have a timber and smoothness that I've never heard even by singers like Maria Callas who is recognized as the greatest ever. Listen to the link below, this is a song that most singing coaches will not let their proteges sing until they are at least 30 years old (and it's a tenor piece at that). It has a short advert, so I apologize for that.

http://www.jackieevancho.com/us/videos/ ... got-talent

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2011, 04:07 
Horse Hockey!

Tassie52 wrote:
cyber1call wrote:
[I don't dispute the basic premise as it applies to most activities and people. I merely dispute the proposition that there is no such thing as talent...

Take the 10,000 hours of practice paradigm. If person A practices TT 10,000 hours he may wind up in the top world rankings. Yet Person B might also practice 10,000 hours and never get that good. To me, that defines "talent." Person A had talent that Person B did not have. It is an intangible. Someone with "talent" won't likely get to the top without putting in the hours, but just putting in the hours may not get you there either no matter how hard one tries. So I think this concept is mostly true when applied to a general population's distribution (statistically speaking), but ignores simple innate differences that apply to everyone. 

What is talent if it is "intangible"? How can it be identified or measured? Our TV screens are littered with "talent" shows, but in the main they are incorrectly labelled. What is being identified and judged is mainly the result of practice and training. No-one gets up on the stage and dances perfectly without having practised first. What is being called talent is what Syed calls "the iceberg illusion": what we see is only the tip of the iceberg which is the thousands of hours of training which has got that person to that point.

There are many intangible concepts in life like "love" and "evil." I said before that "talent" (to me) is like when you compare say two performers--a great one with a mediocre one with all things being equal--if such a thing is possible--and what you have left is the "talent."

Tassie52 wrote:
The other major issue with the fixation on talent is the negative effect which this has on both those "with talent" and those "without talent". From personal experience: we had at our school a young man who was "immensely talented" - he was Australian schoolboys sprint champion for his age group for a number of years. One day in 1968 I saw him run 100 m in 10.7 seconds. An extraordinary achievement. Do you know his name? NO - because he never made it. He became a victim of the talent myth. For a start, he received so much adulation for his "talent" that he came to believe he didn't need to train - his "talent" was enough. Secondly, he became fearful of losing and having his "talent" label taken away from him so he stopped competing. He could have been... but he never did. At the same time, his "talent" affected everyone around him. The rest of us who had to live with him day by day simply stopped trying to improve. We simply assumed that we would never be as talented as he was and therefore there was no point trying.

That doesn't mean he had no talent! He just squandered it because he DIDN'T put in the practice hours.

Tassie52 wrote:
I've been interested to look at the "talent" of Jackie Evancho. Lots and lots of comments gushing about how "gifted" she is, but again it's the iceberg illusion. Added to which, many of the quotes are conditional, saying things like, "She has a remarkable voice for someone of her age." In other words, it is not her talent which is being praised but how early she has been able to develop her voice - the result of doing something which kids don't usually do: practice for thousands of hours. Secondly, Jackie Evancho is not a star because she possesses a quality which others don't. There are hundreds of thousands of kids around the world with voices as good as or better than hers, but... they have not had the opportunities which she has had to be recognised. Where you are born does make a difference - try becoming an opera singer when living in poverty in Bangladesh.

Perhaps SOME have "qualified" her performances by saying she's "good for her age." Most comments I've heard do NOT say that. I have her CD and have seen the video of her debut concert with David Foster and RIGHT NOW I think she's the best female singer I've ever heard. I'm an aficionado of classical and operatic music and she compares favorably with the best. And that also includes cross-over music. Jackie Evancho has performed with Sarah Brightman and Barbra Streisand and I think she not only held her own, but surpassed them with the quality of her phrasing and tonality. Now some of that is actually physiological and who knows if growing up will change that. I hope not because she may already be the greatest female singer ever and I personally consider myself privileged to be alive when she came onto the world stage. To me, it would be like going back in time to hear Mozart live in concert.

OK, I'll admit I'm sold as her fan and I've pushed her case enough so will let it go. :lol:

BTW, thanks for a great blog and all the civil discussion. :clap:

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2011, 04:43 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

You are still making assumptions about her and the other kids that you do not know much about, such as whether her voice is superior to her competitors or if her competitors practiced as hard as she did. In addition, you have no proof that other kids have voices as good or better than hers who did not have the chance to prove themselves.

At the same time, Syed is quick to acknowledge the difference between complex events like ice hockey and simple events like running or lifting. It is true that the first thing you need to do to become an olympic sprinter is to choose your parents carefully. But, as important as that is, that on its own is not enough. When it comes to complex tasks, the physiological dimension becomes less important; see the Gretsky quote above.

Based on this statement I would say Syed will readily recognize Jackie's talent as simple as those possessed by Olympic sprinters and lifters.

For a start, intelligence is not a talent. Nor is determination. Hand-eye co-ordination is purely the result of training. Do you know any babies who can catch a ball? Cardio-vascular capacity is the result of two things: 1. physiology, and 2. training. When I was training for marathons I increased my cardio-vascular capacity immensely - my resting heart rate was down to 40 beats per minute; it's not nowadays! :rofl: Cardio-vascular capacity is not a talent. Jumping ability - trainable. Split-second decision making ability is always the result of practice: the only way any of us know which kind of stroke to play is because we've done it before!

Also, I'm quite sure that "willing to work hard" can be taught. A long time ago I was a primary school teacher. My first ever class was eight year olds, including one who was consistently the worst speller in the class. His father was a dairy farmer and John (the boy) said, "My dad says you don't need to go to school to be a farmer." Each week John would only manage to learn 2 or 3 of the 20 words set to learn. Towards the end of the year there came a day when he fluked getting 3 of the day's 5 words correct. I praised John's "hard work". :up: The next day he also got 3 right. I got the whole class to applaud him for doing so well. :party: That week, when we tested the whole 20 words, John got 6 correct - this was unheard of for him and we made a huge fuss over the effort he had made. The next week he got 9 out of 20! By the end of the year he was consistently getting between 16 and 19 out of 20 - this from the "no talent" worst speller in the room! The only thing that had changed was that the class was rewarding his "hard work", and he learned to make an effort. That was one of the highlights of my primary school teaching career.

This illustration is exactly what Syed talks about as a "growth mindset" - teaching people to believe that they can improve through effort. Up until that time, John had a "fixed mindset" believing that he was "no good at spelling". His ability to spell changed when his mindset changed. "Willing to work hard" is not 'a unique kind of "talent" that simply can not be taught.'

As I stated before, everything could be "taught" to a degree by repetition and memorization, but to "learn" things this way is akin to memorizing a piano piece that's far above your current ability, and thus "faking" it. At the highest competitive level your incompetency will be exposed. Sure, you can try as hard as you can to "unlock" a person's potential through establishing a "growth mindset" in the very best possible way, but to say there won't be a normal bell-shaped distribution of end results after a large group is given the exact training is ludicrous. Everybody learns things based on his/her own pace... Some incredibly fast, some excruciatingly slow. That's how it has always worked. "Practice" can only take you so far, and even Syed apparently accepts it based on your latest post. No one has unlimited hours in their lifetime to learn, otherwise we will all be experts in all things! :lol: Whatever we choose to specialize in, we must try to do so while we still have the body and mind in good enough condition to pursue it, and I think even Syed and I will be in agreement with this "limitation". The only thing we disagree on is Syed believes hard work and being in the right place at the right time can take you far enough most of the time, but my opinion is it's not nearly enough for those who have tried and had the opportunity to have their ability tested. To me, Syed underestimated the amount of people who had already believed in "his" theory (since it's not new), and failed after devoting all the prime years of their lives trying to get "there" (the top of their respective field). In short, his book is a good motivational tool for some, but loosely connected with reality for others.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2011, 08:04 
Super User

A bit off topic, but that rendition of Nessun Dorma by Jackie Evancho just sounds meager and wrong to me. I know it's just my opinion but that song is not supposed to be sung by women, they can't do it justice. They lack the power. Plus in this rendition her pronounciation and clearness of voice was poor compared to some of the other greats that have made Nessun Dorma so popular.

I liked all her other clips you posted, but this just sounded wrong to me.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2011, 09:26 
Horse Hockey!

wfberkhof wrote:
A bit off topic, but that rendition of Nessun Dorma by Jackie Evancho just sounds meager and wrong to me. I know it's just my opinion but that song is not supposed to be sung by women, they can't do it justice. They lack the power. Plus in this rendition her pronounciation and clearness of voice was poor compared to some of the other greats that have made Nessun Dorma so popular.

I liked all her other clips you posted, but this just sounded wrong to me.

Which clip did I post...was it the Britain's Got Talent version? I agree that wasn't her best performance...she was still just 10... :lol: And the venue probably wasn't ideal for such a recording either.

Try this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=csjIrNbAtEA (it may have an advert)

Yes, one criticism I've heard before that this is too big a song for a woman--any woman--much less an 11-year-old girl. So maybe in this one case I might allow the addition of that age proviso. Most men don't sing it either until they are well-established. Also, in all my years of listening to (and performing) live classical music and opera I've NEVER heard a perfect performance. A perfect live performance just isn't possible. OK, maybe David Oistrakh managed it once or twice... :lol:

As for her Italian I can't judge since I do not speak Italian. So give her another 5,000 hours and see how she's doing. ;)

OK...I said I would drop it Taz...sorry! :P

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2011, 09:44 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

A few things I have noticed during my TT years is the numbers of hard working talented kids (see I added both aspects lol) who drop out of TT in thier mid to late teens. in many of thier developing younger years
I see the hard working parents who pick the balls up so thier children get max time training, they get the best gear because they can afford it , they pay extra hourly rates for individual top coaches etc etc
Then typicaly the children may be around the 17 age and be selected to go to a World Jnr event at a cost of $6000- $8000 which is not state funded, and try hard but not get any major wins, so either the Young player is thinking for thier parents or themselves they think If I go to two or three World events a year hmmm for what? so they get lost to the sport and thier best friends leave as well

In another Country where 4-8 tallented hard working kids get great oppertunities in state funded projects then they will have a higher success rate, because of internal competion, squad hours, State funding to travel,train and compete

I remember the great John Walker (middle distant runner from NZ) being asked about the the Kenyan and other East African runners and how come the got so good, he said "they have always been good but now they are getting the oppertunity"

Some Schools here of 2400 kids have no TT team whilst another 1000 pupil school may have 10 x 3 man teams, its often a leader or Teacher who gets behind and supports and grows, its not to say which school has the more talented kids, its about oppertunity,support, hours and facilities

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next