OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 19:36

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2015, 01:33 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Aussie Table Tennis sent me this pair of TT shoes to try out and review specifically for this forum. They're Stiga Instinct II's and I was told that they are a much improved version on the first Instinct's (which I never used so I will take them at their word on this). I have worn them on 3 nights of play now and I think I can now make useful comment on them. I will premise this review by stating hat as a general rule I don't wear actual TT shoes to play TT as I find them too flat and hard in the sole. My current shoes I wear normally are Adidas Duramo's and they are honestly the most comfortable and "right" level of grip for me that I have ever played in. So, like it or not, I am influenced by these shoes in a comparative way in writing this review.

So, how do the Instinct II's feel on the feet and in play? Well, they are fairly comfortable to wear from the get-go. I had no particular problems in needing to "wear them in". First night's play they felt ok, but I have to admit I missed my Adidas. The floor seemed unusually dusty that night and the shoe grip was less than what I like at first. But my teamy was sliding on the floor and put some water down at the side of the table. I gave the shoes a few dabs in the water during matches too, and the grip became just right. On nights since then I haven't noticed a problem.

What I do notice is my feet get a little "tired" in them over the course of a night's play. My feet are prone to this though and I'm comparing to the Adidas which have a lot more foam in the sole. I would say though that the Stiga's seem to strike a nice balance between cushioning and floor feel if you liking leans toward floor feel. My feet like cushioning. I think it comes down to different people's feet characteristics on this. One thing I will say is the shoes are light. My Adidas are also light, but I have a pair of Asics Gel's which feel quite heavy in comparison and I doubt I would wear them for TT.

The Stiga Instincts design is rather striking in a very stylish black and white with nylon mesh as the main upper and the usual "gummy" rubber under-side. They do have 2 nice black and white pivot points built into both shoe bases which certainly do allow the shoes to move with your body turns. The inner side of the sole also has a nicely raised arch built of a stiffer plastic for support. The stitching and joining of upper to underside seems to be of good quality, but given the shoes are new, it is hard to say how durable this really is. One thing I have not noticed is my feet getting hot or sweaty. Now it is winter here, so this is possibly going to be the case with most shoes perhaps, although I have known cheaper nylon shoes not to breathe well and sweat up the feet in any conditions. This isn't the case with these in the colder weather we've had.

The Stiga's came laced with white laces which gives the shoe a "more white than black" look as the only black is decorative striping as can be seen in the attached photo. However, the shoes came with a second pair of laces, which are black, which would "up the black factor" if they were laced in instead of the white. I like little attentions to detail like this in products, where a manufacturer gives the consumer some choice by additions like this.

Overall, I don't think I'll be playing in these shoes as much as my Adidas because they just don't suit me as well. However, as far as actual TT shoes go, I think these are fairly good. The profile is not too low as many TT shoes are. Some years ago I snapped my achilles tendon playing in actual TT shoes, which were Dawei Savigas. I always felt the shoes contributed to the injury as the injury occurred when I had gone low for a chop from near the floor and in trying to come up again I toppled backward as the achilles let go. I felt if the shoes had offered a little more strength in the back it may not have happened. However, this is only conjecture as I certainly cannot prove my theory...and I'm not about to try to repeat the action to test it out :swear: Anyway, these Stiga's seem to have good support in them and they do nicely envelop the foot all around.

I believe the shoes are in a mid-range price around the $80 mark. If you are after a pair of TT shoes, I don't think you'd go far wrong with these from my experience with them. I won't be chucking them out, but I think my Adidas Duramo's will wear out before the Instinct II's do ;) .

Aussie TT's link is in my sig below as they have become something of a sponsor for me. However, I have written this review from my findings using the product and have not sugar coated anything. Aussie specifically asked for it this way and I wouldn't have it any other way anyway.

Attachments:
20150624_192749[1].jpg
20150624_192749[1].jpg [ 3.63 MiB | Viewed 4080 times ]

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2015, 12:09 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks for the review Reb :up:

I believe table tennis shoes are supposed to be low to the ground, which supposedly is to protect the ankles from twisting, and give you the best stability, as TT requires lots of fast side-to-side movements. So although the Adidas may feel more comfortable as they have a thicker sole, they may in fact offer you less protection and less stabiliy.

Of course if you're playing on concrete or other hard floors, you may not have much choice but to wear shoes with thicker soles.
Proper TT floors feel quite soft, so the thick soles are probably not required.

Most of our venues are on wooden floors, so proper TT shoes (like the Stiga) feel quite comfortable and don't seem to give me any trouble.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2015, 14:22 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Good review Reb. Seems that as far as tt shoes go these are a good option. I'm currently wearing my retired running shoes (1,000km) Adidas Salvation but soon will need to look at new shoes. I've been wondering whether to get x-trainers, basketball, tennis or table tennis shoes. Would prefer something i can wear around on weekends, would the Stigas be ok for this?

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2015, 16:43 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Cobalt wrote:
Good review Reb. Seems that as far as tt shoes go these are a good option. I'm currently wearing my retired running shoes (1,000km) Adidas Salvation but soon will need to look at new shoes. I've been wondering whether to get x-trainers, basketball, tennis or table tennis shoes. Would prefer something i can wear around on weekends, would the Stigas be ok for this?

The Stiga's certainly sport a look that's worthy of jeans. I think as long as weekends means shopping centres, movies and the like I think they'd be fine. If it means gardening and DIY, I'd choose something else LOL. Personally, whichever shoes I play TT in, I only wear them for TT. I have 2 pair of Fila Swyfts that have now retired from TT that I wear casually, so they were a good shoe to use for both purposes. But the Adidas Duramo's are just as well suited to that and have outperformed the Fila'son the TT court. The Adidas are not so high in the sole that they have ever given me reason to feel in danger of rolling in them, but they just have a grip that holds well and doesn't clog with dust ever it seems. Whene I get a chance I'll post a pic of them to compare with the Stiga's, seeings as I used them as comparison in the review.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2015, 17:22 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

I finally got around to checking the Aussie TT website again. The Stiga's are there. I was surprised to note they are normally $130, but Aussie has them on sale for $80. Probably a good idea to grab a pair quick if you're interested. A $50 saving is a big chunk of change! ;)

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2015, 03:32 

A very good and informative review thanks! I like first version of the Instinct shoe and will give these a try when they wear out. On which type of floor did you use them?

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2015, 15:24 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blondie wrote:
A very good and informative review thanks! I like first version of the Instinct shoe and will give these a try when they wear out. On which type of floor did you use them?

Thanks for the kind comment Blondie. I used them on our club's polished wooden floors.