OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:13

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 455, 456, 457, 458, 459, 460, 461 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2020, 01:05 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
NextLevel wrote:
pgpg wrote:
Tactics are underrated ;)

Where and how have you been, my friend?

At home, where else? :lol: Lost a bit of weight, so that's a plus. Doing some exercise indoors for a change.

Club has been closed since early March, I think, and I've been working from home since then as well. We are staying remote at least until October 1st. Company had ~25% layoffs, but my team dodged the bullet.

Staying healthy so far (knock on wood) and hope everyone else does as well.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2020, 04:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
pgpg wrote:
Tactics are underrated ;)

And ratings are overrated.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2020, 06:44 

NextLevel wrote:

Here are two suggestions from a fellow club player, so take them with a grain of salt.

Strategic

Work on your BH serve. imo, you start the backswing too early. your friend's BH serve looks better. also check LTT89 if you want to add some hip movement.

Tactical

Your friend's BH seems fairly strong and consistent (the same might be true for his FH, but it was difficult to tell from this clip). If I played against him I would try attacking to his FH side more often.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2020, 06:51 

Brett Clarke wrote:

Practice as much as you can and shadow swing / visualize as much as possible. You've learned the technique and now it has to become automatic, which takes time.

I talk a lot to the foreign Indian boxing coach. He helped to qualify 9 boxers for Tokyo 2020 before all of this virus stuff got going. I asked him how long it takes a boxer to change their technique and his response was "many months". Those guys are training 4 hours per day.

If you are training 1 hour per week, it's possible that you may never change your technique after a certain age or level.

I was afraid you would say something along those lines. I practice a lot and I'll keep working on it.

Let's say I allocate 15mins to FH topspin vs backspin in a one-hour session. Is it better to (a) split it 50% multiball and 50% third ball attack or (b) practice 100% third ball attack or (c) something else?

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2020, 09:11 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:

I think you did exactly what you needed to do - put some game footage on the camera.

I need to do this also. It's difficult to get a match but I can get some serve/return stuff in.

I watched the point at 8:13. Were you shocked it was coming back like it was? Seemed like you could have gained time using the new backhand there - even if just a poor edition of it like mine. Can't blame you. Very difficult to change. I'd say focus on getting the legs moving on backhands.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2020, 11:08 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
This match helped me realize where my forehand needs to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzQKyZcg-k4

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2020, 14:53 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

chopblock wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

Practice as much as you can and shadow swing / visualize as much as possible. You've learned the technique and now it has to become automatic, which takes time.

I talk a lot to the foreign Indian boxing coach. He helped to qualify 9 boxers for Tokyo 2020 before all of this virus stuff got going. I asked him how long it takes a boxer to change their technique and his response was "many months". Those guys are training 4 hours per day.

If you are training 1 hour per week, it's possible that you may never change your technique after a certain age or level.

I was afraid you would say something along those lines. I practice a lot and I'll keep working on it.

Let's say I allocate 15mins to FH topspin vs backspin in a one-hour session. Is it better to (a) split it 50% multiball and 50% third ball attack or (b) practice 100% third ball attack or (c) something else?

If you do a lot of multiball, you'll get more shots per minute. If you do more 3rd ball attach, you'll get more realistic training and it's more likely to work in a match.

In an ideal world I'd split it at 50/50

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2020, 16:26 

chopblock wrote:
(4) https://youtu.be/rAxrMw2KbeY

This is from Monday and I managed to make the triangle on a consistent basis.

I really like your free arm usage in this. I need to work on my free arm for sure.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2020, 07:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Keeping the wrist from moving a lot is still a challenge but I'm feeling some quality in this shot. It's a challenge to move and hit too.

I realized that bending my wrist towards me on the backswing causes issues with location and breaking the wrist at the end of the stroke hurts recovery. Still there's some real thick contact with spin and speed.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2020, 07:34 

wilkinru wrote:

Keeping the wrist from moving a lot is still a challenge but I'm feeling some quality in this shot. It's a challenge to move and hit too.

I realized that bending my wrist towards me on the backswing causes issues with location and breaking the wrist at the end of the stroke hurts recovery. Still there's some real thick contact with spin and speed.

Very impressive! Would love to be able to do the two-step process as well as you

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2020, 06:24 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

So after watching this video I realized what was missing with the backhand shove - more speed. It came together pretty well today. Sometimes it just takes watching Super Saiyan 4 Fan to understand a shot. (this dude is getting REALLY nasty good at technique...)

This is a nice example.

https://youtu.be/z1n8TiobdR0?t=99

He comes below the table with his arm, then with his body and arm explodes on top of the ball. You can really hear the crack of the ball as he seems to be pushing down on the ball. His body doesn't seem to come up too much (barely at all) but I'm sure there are muscles all over his body tuned to do this very shot.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2020, 02:41 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:

That looks like quite a weapon Russ!

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2020, 03:10 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

The backhand below is one of my favorites.

The player is Harmeet Desai and he's the current Indian national singles champion, with a world ranking of 72. He's also the Commonwealth Championships men's singles winner from 2019.

Harmeet uses a lot of wrist at the end of the backswing, but this still qualifies as a shove.

I'm thinking about inviting him onto the thread so you guys can ask questions about pro TT. What do you think?

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2020, 07:49 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Yes, lets pick his brain :)

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2020, 08:08 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
We will treat him like an honorable guest. I hope he has good experience with amateur TT as well to help with the gulf a little.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 455, 456, 457, 458, 459, 460, 461 ... 568  Next