OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:18

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 463, 464, 465, 466, 467, 468, 469 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2020, 12:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

In training, a high jumper never puts the bar up very high. They work on their technique and hope that adrenaline will kick in during a major competition so they can break the world record. There is no way anyone can go anywhere near the world record in training and they aren't even trying for it.

This has nothing to do with the above conversation.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2020, 12:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
What about here? Did he deliberately use his wrist or biceps?

Why isn't it deliberate? It just happened by accident and he couldn't stop himself even if he wanted to?

That said, that amazing athletic ability remind me of why I will never be a great table tennis player... I search my mind really hard to remember an European or Japanese player doing something like that - all the images of I have in my head of players playing like that are all Chinese or Korean.

Why do you think that is? Why don't many Europeans have this shot?

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2020, 12:24 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Before you test a racket to see if you "like" it, you should get a lion to chase you for a minute or two.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2020, 12:25 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
fastmover wrote:
Kristian Karlsson is unbelievably strong and fast, he pivots like mad. One of my favorite players to watch.

Ah that is fair. He and maybe Hugo do something like this once in a blue moon. Kanak sometimes does but it doesn't feel the same lol.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2020, 12:26 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Brett Clarke wrote:
NextLevel wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
What about here? Did he deliberately use his wrist or biceps?

Why isn't it deliberate? It just happened by accident and he couldn't stop himself even if he wanted to?

That said, that amazing athletic ability remind me of why I will never be a great table tennis player... I search my mind really hard to remember an European or Japanese player doing something like that - all the images of I have in my head of players playing like that are all Chinese or Korean.

Why do you think that is? Why don't many Europeans have this shot?

Training. Even Quadri is ridiculously fast and athletic and he doesn't move quite like tbis.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2020, 12:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Sprinters don't attempt to run fast every day because they won't get the recovery they need to continue to run fast. On the days when they do run fast, sprinters take significant breaks between sets to ensure they can run fast in each set. A sprinter never wants to run slow.

Many TT players stand there for 6 hours and swing/move over and over again at mediocre speed. Can this be optimal? How should it be?

I acknowledge that there are clear differences between sprinters and TT players.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2020, 12:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Training. Even Quadri is ridiculously fast and athletic and he doesn't move quite like tbis.

Almost every pro country or club has someone to feed multiball these days. Why doesn't he just practice it? What about the Europeans?

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2020, 12:45 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

Almost every pro country or club has someone to feed multiball these days. Why doesn't he just practice it? What about the Europeans?

I think he does practice it a lot. But I doubt he has a support team of trainers and physiotherapists that CNT has to make sure that their players are in top physical shape.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2020, 12:47 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Brett Clarke wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

The Chinese train like that before they are stars. And if they become unable to ever play TT again, someone will take their place. The European just accepts that he is the best player in his country and he doesn't need to do that.

But I can imagine someone like Saive doing this. Or in a certain frame of mind Schlagsr. Maybe it is just a sign of the times....

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2020, 12:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

The Chinese train like that before they are stars. And if they become unable to ever play TT again, someone will take their place. The European just accepts that he is the best player in his country and he doesn't need to do that.

But I can imagine someone like Saive doing this. Or in a certain frame of mind Schlagsr. Maybe it is just a sign of the times....

Yeah, ML could probably do that by the age of 8 or something.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2020, 13:12 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I think that countries and continents have TT culture. I think that Boll, Maze, Vladi & Dima etc drastically influenced European culture over the last 20 years. These players are all great but none of their games are even close to optimal.

I feel that the flood gate have opened and the gap between Chinese technical culture and the rest is too great to recover from. The Chinese understood the plastic ball better and have adapted accordingly. They have basically solved the game.

I've been watching Kong Linghui from the 90s and his technique wouldn't have been advanced enough for the big plastic ball. There were some early signs of what we have today and you can see how things evolved. The Europeans never got there.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2020, 13:44 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Watching Kong Linghui vs Ma Long in 2001.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ0BQGQMx38

I might say Linghui is around a 2400-2500 player. Now I know he's playing young Ma Long so that isn't true, but my eyes see it as such.

The forehand is pretty good, could be better but you can see the technique is there. The backhand is extremely awkward looking.

Last edited by wilkinru on 04 Jul 2020, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2020, 13:47 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Here is some vide of me looping cross court on the same day as the video of me looping in the three point drill I posted earlier:

https://youtu.be/HK_m1gbmMqg?t=330

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2020, 14:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Here is some vide of me looping cross court on the same day as the video of me looping in the three point drill I posted earlier:

https://youtu.be/HK_m1gbmMqg?t=330

It's good. Good use of the legs.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2020, 14:57 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

wilkinru wrote:
Watching Kong Linghui vs Ma Long in 2001.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ0BQGQMx38

I might say Linghui is around a 2400-2500 player. Now I know he's playing young Ma Long so that isn't true, but my eyes see it as such.

The forehand is pretty good, could be better but you can see the technique is there. The backhand is extremely awkward looking.

You mean Ma Lin.

It is hard to think about that era without accommodations for spin. But that guy was not 2450 even in technique. There are 2700 players today who don't hit the ball as well as Kong.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 463, 464, 465, 466, 467, 468, 469 ... 568  Next