OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:46

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: WT F?? Live videos.
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2020, 02:34 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

This video is (was, depending on when you read this) a live stream when I was watching it. It's labeled "#Rise2Tokyo - World Team Qualifications | WT F" - not exactly sure what it is but I think it's to qualify to play in the Olympics.

It's on the ITTF channel. Marie Migot (FRA) vs. Lee Euhhye (KOR).

Iskandar

Post subject: Re: WT F?? Live videos.
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2020, 03:46 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Korea wins 3-1. The French have a player using short pips on the forehand, who won her match.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2020, 04:03 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Ah...

https://www.ittf.com/tournament/5171/20 ... ournament/

I think there's a typo... according to the website the Romanian women beat the Indians 3-2, but the Indians went on to the QF. Can't be right.. :lol:

There's still the mens' final left to play, Hong Kong vs. Czech Republic. China and Japan didn't take part in this tournament, I think they pre-qualified by world ranking, plus Japan is the host nation. Venue is in Portugal. Mens' final starts at 7pm, it's currently 6:32 (thanks, Bing), it's already 2:30am here, so I'm going to bed.. :lol: I suppose Brett's there, coaching the Indians?

Iskandar

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2020, 04:11 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Ah.. they set up a new video for the Men's. Enjoy.

Bedtime for me.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2020, 15:20 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

To answer my own question about who's qualified for the Olympics and how they go about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_ten ... lification

Turns out there are SEPARATE qualifications for individuals, for teams and for mixed doubles. If, for a given gender, a country had qualified a team, then two of the team's members would be automatically qualified to play in the singles event.

What I was watching was the worldwide qualification event specifically for choosing men's and women's teams who hadn't yet qualified. Other teams have already qualified at continent-level tournaments - e.g. China (men's and women's) qualified at the Asian Championships, the US (men's and women's) qualified at a North America Qualification Event and Egypt (men's and women's) qualified at the African Games. Japan had automatically qualified (men's and women's teams, two each men's and women's in singles and mixed doubles) as the host nation.

From February through April there will be a series of continental qualifying events for men's and women's singles for the countries who hadn't managed to qualify a team (a couple of these actually took place already, last year), and there will be a final world qualifying tournament in May for the final two men's slots and two women's slots. It's interesting that the allocations for the continents vary between men's and women's singes - Europe was allocated one men's slot and two women's slots (both ethnic Chinese.. :lol: ), while Latin America has four men's slots and three women's slots.

I wonder if it'd be worth travelling to Bangkok in April to watch the Asia qualification event.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2020, 18:53 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

For Manika Bhatra fans.

India didn't qualify for the teams event, since they lost to Romania in the Round of 16 and then lost to France in the Quarter Finals. So Bhatra and the rest of the team would need to try to earn a singles spot at the Asia Qualification Event in Bangkok, in April. The system they used was interesting - if you win in the Round of 16, you get a spot. All the LOSERS go to a "Quarter Finals", but this is actually a losers' pyramid. The one who eventually won the "finals" (the ROK) gets the ninth spot. Strangely enough, the winner of this loser's pyramid is labeled "Champion" on the web site.

I wonder if Brett was there, coaching.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2020, 02:42 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Another 15 year old girl. I first came across Shin Yubin on the Team Qualification Tournament. She's worth watching - currently ranked 91.

Iskandar