OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:17

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2008, 20:08 
Super User

I have just changed coaches to Korean ex Olympic team member, as my other coaches have stopped coaching for a while one too busy one having a baby. ( still with Sun Yang 2nd NZ player female Ex Prof Chinese Chopper ) But on with the story.

New coaches said my Guillotine was too fast and and ball popped up too much, he said very spiny but too high. So he gave me a sheet of P1 1mm sponge and I stuck it on my blade for balance of session ( BTW just about killed my very hard training but that is another story ) I had tried P1 before about 1 year ago and though it was OK but not special. Felt it did not generate enough chop but this time after one more year of chopping I found P1 different, very easy to control very flat return and if they loop to it it gets lots of chop ( nit as much as Guillotine but enough ) P1 was good for hitting with as you know that what I love to do with LP, no body expects that shot. Not as fast as Guillotine but fast enough to get the point.

And strangely enough I had already ordered a sheet for Alex which should be here is week so how is that for timing.

I came back later that day for more TT and spend some time with a huge spiny looper but this time I was not as happy as in training. Ball stays low but I had to really start high on the down stroke to get any spin at all I got lots of points with no spin not chop and this guy, who knows my game, aid the same that guillotine was spinier but too too higher a return

So Now I do not know has nay body else found the same thing, and one great point in P! favour it is no good hitting off the table it does not work well, but that is good for me because I lose lost of sillt points by trying to hit LP too far off the table, so maybe P! will stop me from doing this..
It Is last week of our winter inter club and I will use P1 this week.

I will keep you all informed.

Any comments

Cheers

Gregg

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2008, 20:54 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Darn, I would have thought some change in the chop starting position or a slight change in chopping technique would yield you a lower ball using Guillotine.

Good luck Greggy -- I would have thought, from what you said, that Guillotine had a lot more potential. Your coach says otherwise, so I guess you should find you what they want to teach...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2008, 20:59 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

Not sure how gulitione plays like? but I hope you enjoy the P1-R, I suppose it plays alot slower the the Xiom lp.

monkey

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2008, 23:08 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I'll be very interested to hear how you progress Greggy! The P-1r is a great pip, and probably grippier than your XIOM. I used it for almost a year, and found it very effective, but it's not very forgiving... In the end I gave it up since I did not have the time to put in the practice to master it, and changed to Leggy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2008, 01:30 

I'm the opposite, I enjoyed the feel of Curl a tad more than Leggy. Leggy has a better all-around capabilities than Curl but I do like the flight pattern of Curl more. Also, TPS products is very rare in the US :cry: ...

TPS Yanagi-Alpha, TPS Triple Power Chop 1.3 & TPS Curl P-1R Soft 1.5

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2008, 12:24 
Super User

I am back after my first serious work out with P1-R, It does a lot of things very well, I can hit nearly as good as Guillotine, I can keep my chops lower, I can block much better than my Guillotine, actually much much better, I can also place the ball better as P1 is easier to control, so I can take the ball nice and late and place it either side of the table nice and long and low.

Bad things, it is not as spiny as Guillotine, it is not as fast as Guillotine, it requires more action to return the ball and also needs more action to get some chop on the ball.

But overall I like it, It will change my game a bit, as I will not be as aggressive with the BH LP as before but I can be if I am over the table ( which is good as I miss to many of these shots ).

Gregg

Post subject: TSP
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2008, 13:21 
Super User

Greggy,

I agree with most of what you said on your review. As far as I see it, the chops can be kept low but unless your technique is right on, the spin reversal is seemingly quite a bit less than say the Destroyer or other good long pip rubbers. Attacking is OK but again is a lower percentage shot than other pips I have tried.

Ken

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2008, 16:06 

Curl P-1R kind of chooses it's owner rather than it being chosen. Glad you're enjoying it Greg & best wishes to your new set up. Trust your coaches, they probably know how you play & what's the best for your style more than we do :wink: ~!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2008, 08:26 
Super User

I hate P1 now I played interclub last night, and thought I will use it rather than Guillotine, big mistake. As I could not get big chop til after 2 or 3 chops returns the opposition smacked me around on first or second chop. And even though it blocks much better than guillotine the blocks are gutless floats, and I could not chop block with P1. I lost to a player I normally beat and he was not playing well, so I riped off P1 and went back to Guillotine for the rest of the night. It took a few games to get used to G after P1 but I would have won nothing.

The difference between the rubber is now more apparent, P1 good control but hard to get chop out of it without very long smooth stroke, while with the G a shorter jab get lots of chop. P1 can block but it is a soft block against weak player it is OK but good players laugh and smash it back at you, if you get a block on with G it is lethal, the hit with the P1 is medium speed but does not have the chop on it so the players just pick it up while with G the hit is very choppy and falls off their rubber.

So I have learnt a lesson, stick with equipment that you like and that has some future for you as you develop your game, look for gear that you can grow with, it might be hard now but as you get better you will improve more than changing all the time.

So I will go back to training harder and stick with my old setup and try to improve my technique.

Greggy

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2008, 08:58 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Hope your coach will continue coaching you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2008, 10:12 
Super User

Think so they take the money, but I may get a small telling off.

I will try Leggy next as Alex send me one to try, looks closer to Guillotine, softer and bigger spaced pips.

But there is no perfect rubber there is always a some compromise, I have a theory, that all rubbers have three properties, chop, block and attack, and my theory is that rubber can do 2 well and one not so well. This applies to LP, SP Anti and Smooth. So you have to find a rubber that does the things you do well. For me I hit well and chop well but never been much of a blocker.

Who likes this Theory?

Gregg

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2008, 10:27 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

yes I like that theory, hold true for all the LPs I've tried so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2008, 10:38 
Super User

Do you think it works for all TT rubber?

Or not

G

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2008, 10:48 

You might like Leggy Defense like me and Alex :wink: . Like Alex said, it's more forgiving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2008, 16:19 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Twinkle wrote:
You might like Leggy Defense like me and Alex :wink: . Like Alex said, it's more forgiving.

Sure is, and you won't have trouble getting spin on your chops... only thing is the speed... you might find it too slow... I'm very keen to hear your thoughts!